Tuesday, June 1, 2010
The Price of Progress
I find articles like this one and the previous article about how we automatically assume that certain events in history were the best thing to happen to us while we ignore the negative effects. I find it interesting when people challenge what we believe to be common sense and have a real argument that makes clear sense. I may not agree with the authors, but I do admit to being entertained by what they have to say. This article like the article "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race" talked about things that I am familiar with and have heard of before. This makes it easier for me to understand and see their point. I am the most familiar with the argument about disease. I've heard that there are supervirus being created with all the chemicals we use to kill germs and disease. By using more and stronger antibacterial handwash we force bad germs to evolve into things that are resistant. Soon there will be supergerms that can't be killed by anything. Also I've heard that eventually obsesive handwashing with chemicals can lead to a weakening in a person's immune system. That can also lead to people being able to get sick easier even if they are infected by just a normal germ that a normal person would not be affected by. I'm not saying that its bad to wash your hands, but just don't go overboard.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment